WTTW (Chicago PBS) is looking for a Producer. This individual will serve as Producer for the weekly program Chicago Tonight: Black Voices and will work closely with supervisors and talent to produce an engaging program that particularly focuses on issues important to the areas Black community while also being accessible to a general audience. This person will also produce original content for the nightly broadcast of Chicago Tonight and its website at wttw.com/news. This multi-platform journalist will work as part of a team under deadline pressure, and will utilize judgment, fact-checking and research skills. This person will also work with the WTTW Community Engagement team on news related projects, as well as other projects as assigned.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Produce impactful and journalistically sound program Chicago Tonight: Black Voices.
- Produce engaging and journalistically sound conversation segments for Chicago Tonight.
- Produce and write engaging and journalistically-sound field segments for Chicago Tonight.
- Develop & produce original and distinctive content and reporting for Chicago Tonight’s online presence, including news stories, interactive features, and analysis utilizing a mix of traditional and new media storytelling elements.
- Actively develop and pitch segment, story, and program ideas.
- Develop and maintain sources.
- Stay abreast of community news, issues and activities.
- Conduct research, develop and maintain contacts/sources, and identify and evaluate potential interview subjects and guests.
- Supervise field/studio shoots, conduct pre-interviews, interviews and instruct talent.
- Assist in assigning and overseeing work of related support staff and interns.
- Work with Community Engagement on WTTW News-related projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Journalistic skills and integrity.
- Demonstrated interest in learning about and covering the area’s diverse communities.
- Outstanding organizational and planning skills.
- Excellent writing ability.
- Strong conceptual ability, sense of “story” and production aesthetics.
- Proven ability to “multi-task”.
- Knowledge of television production.
- Interest and curiosity in assigned content areas, and ability to quickly absorb and comprehend new information.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with computer programs.
- Understanding of new media, and multi-platform content integration.
EXPERIENCE: 5-10 years of journalism experience required; television production experience strongly preferred.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree required.
*Selected candidate will need to be, or become, a member of AFTRA.
Window to the World Communications, Inc., the parent organization of WTTW and WFMT, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity is a core value at WTTW|WFMT. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment for all staff. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions. WTTW|WFMT is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff. WTTW|WFMT will honor your experiences, perspectives, and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
To apply for this job please visit phe.tbe.taleo.net.