ProPublica is looking for a creative and collaborative filmmaker to join its films and video department as a film development producer and senior producer.
You’ll work as part of a small team to expand our film and video offerings. We’re looking for someone versatile with a knack for storytelling and strong skills in project management and communication. This person will work closely with the executive producer on a variety of projects with different rhythms and timelines. The position will involve collaborating with independent filmmakers and production companies, in-house filmmakers, reporters and editors, as well as helping us develop and nurture more and better films, series and audio-visual projects.
In this job you will:
- Proactively identify ProPublica stories suitable for adaptation into film and/or television, unscripted and scripted.
- Shepherd projects through development and production, immersing yourself in crafting the story and reviewing scripts and cuts.
- Work closely with the executive producer, members of the team and the wider newsroom to develop documentaries and series.
- Create successful pitching materials for distributors and seek financial support for projects.
- Be involved in the conception and execution of film and video projects from start to finish.
- Help oversee and edit audio-visual newsroom projects, including multimedia collaborations across departments and documentaries.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is a talented and multifaceted producer and narrative storyteller with seven or more years of experience.
- Has an established creative sensibility and a track record of developing and producing great storytelling in a newsroom, production company, studio or elsewhere.
- Has strategic expertise to help build a pipeline of TV and film projects that balance high journalistic rigor, quality and ethical standards with innovative and artistic storytelling.
- Forges strong relationships and partnerships across departments, disciplines and industries.
- Has experience collaborating successfully with print journalists and filmmakers.
- Has experience packaging projects, creating successful pitching materials and seeking financial support.
- Is interested in pushing the boundaries on what investigative journalism can look like on film and how it can reach mainstream audiences.
- Loves working with others and can also work independently.
- Has trauma literacy and experience working with complex and sensitive topics.
It’s a big plus if you also have:
- A strong reporting background and sharp journalistic ethics.
- Experience in field production, cinematography, editing and/or design.
- Existing relationships with filmmakers and buyers.
This is a full-time position and includes benefits. ProPublica’s headquarters are in New York, although we are open to remote applicants. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our staff.) We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities. We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age or any other status protected under applicable law.
The application form is here. Please include links to projects you’ve worked on or contributed to and describe your role in detail.
We will begin reviewing applications on May 23, but we will continue to consider candidates as long as the posting remains live on our site. Any questions? Email executive producer Almudena Toral at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job please visit propublica.forms.fm.