The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.
The Associated Press seeks a creative, strategic-minded program manager to help develop and administer its collaborations with news organizations and philanthropic foundations around inclusive storytelling, developing diverse newsrooms and broadening audience voices in journalism.
This is a temporary position, lasting for two years, with the potential to renew. This position is also eligible for remote work.
In this role, you will be charged with helping AP build a comprehensive Inclusive Newsroom Initiative to improve diversity in newsrooms and news reports through journalistic and leadership training and more inclusive storytelling across the news industry, starting with a collaboration between AP and The Maynard Institute for Journalism Education and The Ida B. Wells Society for Investigative Reporting.
Working closely with AP’s newsroom, the person in this position will be responsible for helping envision inclusive storytelling approaches that include not simply AP, but other newsrooms as well, and how philanthropies can support those efforts. Reporting to the director of news partnerships, this program manager will join a team that creates, evaluates and manages innovative partnerships aimed at strengthening AP’s journalism around the world.
The successful candidate will help ensure the success of collaborations and news initiatives funded by philanthropies, developing and monitoring performance requirements and overseeing the implementation of those requirements for grants and partnerships within AP’s Inclusive Newsroom umbrella. The manager will be comfortable working with AP staff all over the world, in business as well as editorial departments, and must have the ability and willingness to work at night and on weekends, as requirements demand, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
The successful candidate will:
• demonstrate a deep interest and record in diversity, inclusion and equity work;
• have a demonstrated history of successful, creative program development and implementation for complex initiatives involving multiple teams.
• have strong communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to execute successful partnerships; ability to create compelling presentations and proposals, often working on tight deadlines and with multiple team members.
• demonstrate strong attention to detail, a proficiency with budgeting and financial analysis, contracts and progress reports.
• perform research and assessments of potential partners to ensure that collaborations maintain AP’s standards for integrity.
Qualifications: The program manager should have past excellence in partnership development and administration. The person should have a strong interest in elevating AP’s collaborations with organizations interested in inclusive storytelling and improving diversity in global newsrooms. Applicants must be able to work effectively as a member of a team and ideally should have experience participating in complex projects. Applicants should have at least three years of full-time experience in fundraising, collaborations or program management roles. Experience working with news organizations is preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
• Authorization to work in the U.S. will be mandatory.
• Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English.
• Advanced-level professional competency with the Microsoft Office suite of software, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Employment is contingent on adhering to all company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols, including providing proof of Covid-19 vaccination in accordance with applicable laws.
Application deadline is 11:59pm on June 22, 2022.
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran in accordance with applicable nondiscrimination laws.
To apply for this job please visit careers.ap.org.