Job Title: IBWS Project Manager (Temp)
Classification: Temporary/Contract Work
Pay Range: $55,000-65,000
Location: Primarily remote, with required traveling for events
The Ida B. Wells Society for Investigative Reporting is seeking an experienced and highly organized event project manager to provide event planning, coordination and facilitation services on a contract basis.
The Society a news trade organization dedicated to increasing and retaining reporters and editors of color in the field of investigative reporting. Over the next year, we will be launching two large-scale flagship programs: The Investigative Reporting Fellowship for Experienced Journalists and the Investigative All-Star J-Camp.
The Investigative Reporting Fellowship for Experienced Journalists a yearlong, all expenses paid, investigative training and mentorship program. Through the program, 12 experienced journalists will be selected to participate in weeklong, intensive training sessions in New York City with accomplished investigative reporters four times a year and coached by investigative mentors to complete an in-depth investigative project of their own conception. The aim of this fellowship is to give professional journalists who have not had the opportunity to develop their investigative reporting skills the time and financial investment to expand their skillset and produce impactful accountability reporting.
The Investigative All-Star J-Camp is a weeklong overnight youth camp aimed at exposing high school juniors and seniors from historically disadvantaged schools to all the possibilities within investigative and data-driven reporting. This program is a holistic and immersive approach to training, from an introductory look at how investigation is embedded in every area of journalism and essential to social change to hands-on learning in investigative techniques culminating in a multimedia publication. This project will be based in North Carolina through a partnership with multiple programs within the UNC system.
These projects are funded by grants from Michael Jordan and the Jordan Brand, the Wellspring Philanthropic Fund, Democracy Fund, the Ford Foundation and others.
We are seeking an experienced project manager with a passion for work around increasing diversity and equity in journalism and the logistical skills to coordinate and facilitate large-scale, national multi-day event programs. This position would take the lead on mapping out event schedules, multi-state event outreach campaigns, coordination of travel and lodging for participants, support staff, facilitation of events and ensuring university and state compliance.
We strongly encourage those from historically represented and marginalized communities to apply.
This is a contract-based position for an initial term of one year.
- Work with Ida B. Wells Society team to map out objectives and plans for each program, to inform application and selection process
- Coordinate and create timeline for the application process
- Create outreach and marketing plan and materials and lead outreach activities
- Work with Ida B. Wells Society team to determine selection process and to implement the process
- Handle all applicant communications and notifications
- Document processes so that they can be replicated in future years
- Help manage project budget and track expenses to align with budget objectives
- Act as point of contact to communicate project status to all participants/stakeholders
- Oversee project procurement management
- Support Ida B. Wells Society team and program manager in planning communications and support of participants before and between events
- Design daily agenda for weeklong programs
- On-site logistics and event design support throughout the event
- Ensure university and state standards and requirements are met throughout
- Provide feedback to staff as needed
- Design pre- and post-survey instrument for assessing success of program and progress of participants
- Proven track record of project management or multi-day, multi-location events coordination experience – from conception to delivery
- An ability to prepare and interpret schedules and step-by-step action plans
- Demonstrated budget management experience
- Solid organizational skills, including multitasking and time-management
- Strong client-facing and teamwork skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Google Spreadsheets
- Familiarity with survey generation software such as Qualtrics or SurveyMonkey
Interested candidates can apply with the form below.