WTTW News/Chicago Tonight is looking for an experienced, creative, and enthusiastic Investigative/Special Projects Reporter/Producer. This individual will focus on investigative and enterprise stories that have strong narratives and compelling information that has meaning to our audience (and helps us engage new audiences). This person will be well versed on using investigative tools to uncover corruption, malfeasance, waste, fraud, abuse, and inequity in both the public and private sectors. Stories produced should be clear to the audience and empower them with information. This multi-platform journalist will work as part of a team under deadline pressure, and will utilize judgment, fact-checking, and research skills. This person will also work on other projects as assigned.
- Pitch compelling, original stories with strong narratives that can have an impact.
- Produce engaging and journalistically sound stories for Chicago Tonight and wttw.com/news.
- Conduct pre-interviews, interviews, collaborate with talent and supervise field shoots.
- Stay abreast of community news, issues, and activities.
- Identify areas of corruption and inequity.
- Use investigative tools like FOIA, data analysis, etc.
- Conduct research, develop, and maintain contacts/sources, and identify and evaluate potential interview subjects and stories.
- Assist in assigning and overseeing work of related support staff and interns.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Journalistic skills and integrity.
- Demonstrated interest in learning about and covering the area’s diverse communities.
- Outstanding organizational and planning skills.
- Excellent writing ability.
- Strong conceptual ability, sense of “story” and production aesthetics.
- Proven ability to “multi-task”.
- Interest and curiosity in assigned content areas, and ability to quickly absorb and comprehend new information.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with computer programs.
- Understanding of new media, and multi-platform content integration.
- Ability to use investigative tools.
- Knowledge of television production is preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 5-10 years of journalism experience including investigative journalism experience; television production experience a plus.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree.
*Selected candidate will need to be, or become, a member of AFTRA.
Window to the World Communications, Inc., the parent organization of WTTW and WFMT, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity is a core value at WTTW|WFMT. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment for all staff. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions. WTTW|WFMT is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff. WTTW|WFMT will honor your experiences, perspectives, and unique identity. Together, our community strives to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable and welcoming.
To apply for this job please visit phe.tbe.taleo.net.