Job Title: Assistant managing editor
Reports to: Managing editor
Verite is a Black-led nonprofit news organization with a twofold mission to produce in-depth journalism that serves the whole community while training, developing and mentoring a new generation of minority journalists.
Launching in fall 2022, Verite is seeking an assistant managing editor to work with the managing editor and editor-in-chief to grow a staff that will be recognized as a leader in independent, nonpartisan journalism in the Deep South.
As directed by the managing editor, the assistant managing editor will help make assignments, direct coverage and edit copy for staff reporters and photographers as well as work with freelancers and contributors to regularly publish high-quality content on our website that is also shared with organizations across the internet.
Verite will produce in-depth, data-driven investigative reporting aimed at finding solutions to chronic problems, engage in deep-dive analysis of government and private actions that impact the community and will generate thoughtful historical and narrative presentations that help enhance the shared sense of community and belonging.
As part of the management team, this position will have input in setting newsroom policy, goals and standards as well as training programs and systems.
The ideal candidate will be someone with reporting, editing and management experience who understands the need for accuracy, integrity, balance and diverse perspective in all reporting. This candidate will be working with experienced journalists as well as entry-level reporters, journalism fellows, non-traditional staffers and voices from the community.
The assistant managing editor should be able to mentor staffers at all levels, helping to improve reporting, writing and communication skills that will translate into growth and opportunities. Some work will be done remotely, but the assistant managing editor must be able to meet regularly with the management team and staff to create the best environment for cooperation and growth.
● Work with a small team of journalists who are focused on issues of social inequities and racial equality in our area.
● Remain flexible in dealing with copy and content on a fluid deadline schedule.
● Develop story ideas for staff members and contributors.
● Work with reporters, photographers and audience team staff to produce compelling stories and multimedia packages that reach our readers and are shared by other media outlets
● Guide reporters in finding willing sources who will be protected while telling sensitive and timely stories
● Oversee the pursuit for public records and information
Qualified candidates should have:
● A bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications or related field.
● The ability to work quickly, and with accuracy and good news judgment.
● 5 to 10 years of reporting and/or journalism experience.
● Knowledge and awareness of libel laws and ethical standards
● Ability to use social media for research and to engage readers.
● Understanding of open meetings and public records laws.
● Digital storytelling skills and open mind to trying new approaches.
It’s a plus if you have:
● Louisiana reporting/editing experience
● Experience working with a combination of longform stories and investigations
● A demonstrated ability to work quickly, and under tight deadlines
● A knowledge and understanding of nonprofit journalism
● Experience working in a collaborative newsroom setting
What you’ll get:
● The opportunity to work alongside award-winning journalists and make significant contributions to a growing nonprofit, nonpartisan digital news and information source.
● Competitive salary with medical insurance, and options for vision and dental insurance.
● Cellphone stipend.
● 29 days paid time off.
● Up to 12 weeks of parental family leave, with return-to-work flexibility.
● Simple IRA with 3 percent company matching. Group-term life insurance provided to employees ($15,000 policy).
● Support for professional training and attending industry conferences.
How to Apply:
We’re committed to building an inclusive newsroom that represents the people and communities we serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people who are differently abled. Please send resume, contact info and links or attachments to relevant work product to email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org