The Center for Public Integrity, a Pulitzer Prize-winning nonprofit news organization focused on investigating inequality in the U.S., seeks a data journalist to support collaborative work with local newsrooms and journalists.
In addition to its own national investigative reporting, Public Integrity aims to build capacity among local news organizations and journalists for investigative reporting that confronts inequality, particularly those primarily serving communities of color.
This person in this position will drive our efforts to help local newsrooms do data-driven investigations around inequality. They will support partnerships between Public Integrity and individual newsrooms and regional collaboratives by providing training, mentorship and support that builds capacity among local journalists serving communities of color.
The ideal candidate will have strong data journalism skills and experience; a commitment to collaborative journalism with colleagues and partner news organizations; and a passion to expose the historical context and modern drivers of inequality in areas such as access to democracy, employment, housing, health care, education, business and finance. Fluency in multiple languages is a plus.
We prioritize solutions-oriented journalism and reporting with and in service to the communities affected by the issues we cover.
We welcome and encourage applicants with non-traditional career paths. If you don’t meet all the qualifications outlined here, please apply and tell us how your own experiences would equip you for the job. Public Integrity is based in Washington, D.C., and is committed to a remote-friendly and hybrid work environment. We are open to applicants from around the country.
Public Integrity offers a comprehensive benefit package, including generous paid vacation, holidays and personal days, parental leave, 100% of employee health insurance premiums, and a 403(b) retirement plan with employer match.
- Work with local newsrooms to plan and identify data-driven investigations.
- Help those newsrooms acquire, clean and analyze data for those investigations.
- Work with Public Integrity’s audience and engagement team to identify opportunities and problems that can be solved through public-facing interactives and tools.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience working on data-driven investigations.
- Ability to analyze data using a range of tools, including spreadsheets and databases.
- Ability to formulate methodologies, including those using statistical analyses.
- Knowledge of at least one programming language is a plus.
- Ability to present data in a meaningful way to colleagues, partners and readers.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Exceptional organizational skills and a proven ability to work collegially with others.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and training.
To apply: All applications should include a cover letter, resume and examples of data journalism work.
This job is within the bargaining unit represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild, CWA Local 32035, and would be subject to a collective bargaining agreement covering the bargaining unit.
The Center for Public Integrity is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an inclusive work environment. Public Integrity is committed to employment, advancement, and leadership opportunities that ensure diversity of age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin or ancestry, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, and/or military or veteran status.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.